Purpose – Strength Core and Lumber Spine
Set up Position
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor
- Ensure knees and feet are in line with hips
- Back of neck lengthened
- Shoulder blades should be squeezed together and drawn down towards your feet
- Spine in neutral
- Core stability muscles and pelvic floor engaged (30%)
- Inhale to prepare and bring hands to rest behind the head without arching your back
- Exhale and initiate the move from the hip and float the foot of one leg off the floor to bring the knee to rest directly above the hip, with the shin parallel to the ceiling, repeat with other leg so both are off floor.
- Inhale, Exhale and lift upper body off floor relaxing neck in hands.
- Inhale to prepare
- Alternating legs, exhale and slowly extend the leg moving from the hip first, the lower you take the leg down the hard it will be, return the leg and then repeat with other leg once it is back directly over hip. If you feel the lower back start to lift as you lower leg, extend the leg more up to the ceiling rather than down to the floor
- Keep the head off throughout.
- Repeat for 20 times in total or 10 each leg.
Watch Out Points
- Keep resting leg still with knee above hip
- Keep tension out of neck and look at the ceiling not towards your knee
- Avoid losing neutral spine, back should not arch at any point