Purpose: Strength Core and Lumbar Spine
Set up Position
- Lying on your back with knees bent and feet flat on floor
- Knees in line with hips, feet in line with sit bones
- Arms down by the side of the body, palms facing the floor
- Back of neck lengthened
- Shoulder blades stabilized
- Spine in neutral
- Core stability muscles engaged (30%)
- Adopt Lateral Thoracic breathing
- Inhale to prepare
- Exhale and initiate the move from the hip and float the foot of one leg off the floor to bring the knee to rest directly above the hip, shin parallel to the ceiling. Inhale, Exhale and float the second leg off the floor and bring to the same position.
- Inhale and curl upper body off floor ribs to hips and hold and bring one knee into chest, then extend other leg out initiating the movement from the hip then lengthening from the knee. Inside hand is just below knee and the outside hand is at the ankle of the flexed leg. The lower you go the harder the exercise will be.
- Exhale and switch legs
- Repeat x 16
Watch Out Points
- Keep tension out of upper body
- Avoid loosing neutral spine, back should not peel away from floor.
- Ensure knees come back in line with hips